This blog is conceptualized and authored by Innovation Labs, a team of sharp, curious, and impact-oriented problem solvers. Innovation Labs is an innovation consulting practice, and specialist unit of IMRB International – India’s leading market research consultancy, part of Kantar – WPP’s insight, information and consultancy network. Innovation Labs was setup in early 2010, with the intention to provide tangible, impactful and disruptive business outcomes for organizations.
At the heart of our innovation philosophy is ‘Design Thinking’ – a problem solving approach that uniquely combines the power of three very critical skills – Empathy, Creativity and Rationality. Using empathetic creative problem solving skills, coupled with foresight and business strategy, we help companies with ‘here-and-now’ and future growth opportunities.
About ‘Design Thinking’ — ‘Design’ has been traditionally associated with designing some “thing” (physical), whereas in ‘Design Thinking’, the principles and ideologies behind the product design process have been taken from the traditional ‘Design’ realm to the ‘Business’ realm. In other words, it’s essentially about applying design principles and ideologies to solving non-design problems. (And you don’t have to be a “Designer” to do Design Thinking, but more about that in a later Blog post).
Some of these Design Thinking principles include:
- Re-framing the problem / Diverging the context of the problem
- Deep empathy with users in the ecosystem
- Imagining what could be possible, not being limited by current / past realities
- Rapid prototyping – not to test solutions, but to understand the problem space
- Co-creation with various stakeholders through the process
In the past two years, since setting up Innovation Labs, we’ve worked with a variety of clients in India, Europe and North America, across a variety of innovation projects that include –
- Identifying disruptive innovation for rural telecom growth
- New product development for leading food / snack company
- Future opportunities in the Indian market, 5 years from now (using Scenario Planning and Design Thinking) for global technology firm
- Service innovation in the financial services category
- ‘FutureCasting’ and Innovation opportunities for a leading FMCG company
Along the way, we’ve won an award for ‘Marketing Impact’ under the Retail Product Innovation category in 2011. This award was instituted by Pepscio and Kantar, for the Kantar network of companies worldwide.
We have an eclectic team of professionals from varied backgrounds – Futures (with formal training and expertise in Scenario Planning), Business Strategy, Design Thinking, Industrial Design / Visual Communication, Design Ethnography / User Research, and Innovation Consulting. All these skills and expertise come together for the overarching goal of creating tangible business impact using Innovation.
Thank you for stopping by. We’d love to hear your raves and rants about this Blog. Feel free to get in touch with us, or leave a comment here.